Visioning, Prioritising + Growing Anew
Foundational Principles for Growing as a Modern Organisation
All good signals ahead for the ones who choose the better path of modern building, leading, and operating.
Begin the new year with intention, in the field of change, using smart structures and reliable guardrails to realise your vision, goals, and objectives.
The principles within each tile below are reminders. Ways for you to ground alternative, not default thinking. Means to architect and craft strategy and priorities to run workflow. Constructs for being tangible and dimensional change as your more conscious and curious way of operating.
The Portholes for Beginning Anew
Theeo Lenses + Principles
Vision + Strategy
1. Strategy is about rhythmatising new beginnings. You begin over and over — and over — again within the year, in service of your ambitious goals and visions.
You don't lean back or avoid the discomfort of that rich liminal space.
You instead commit to rigorously creating the container of change, emergence, and innovation as your way to operate.
You build together, by design, and with intention to bring forth the magic of emergent strategy into a unified tapestry of distributed priorities.
You co-creatively and iteratively move in the direction of your purpose, vision, and measurably realised outcomes, as a healthy spiral formation.
2. When your ways of being, doing, and leading evoke more depth, not less, you know you are engaging modern strategy, progressive system change, and smart organisation design.
The rhythm of your own and the interconnected, systemic work feels dynamic, dimensional, and full body.
You are spinning many plates in a layered, complex field. You stop grasping for a linear distillation as your escape hatch out of the discomfort of dimensionality.
You are consciously sitting with the fact that your habitual reach for boxes to check and lists to make are not strategic system designing. They are mere defaults to your more simple and strategically limited prefrontal cortex.
3. When you actively do strategy work as a way to operate and meet vision, goals, and targets, you build a container that serves you, your team, and system to interrupt the rampant, virus-like, limiting beliefs creating perpetual counterforces to your vision and strategy.
You embrace potential and possibility as a way of operating.
You apply and integrate the loop of potential and possibility into outcome measures.
You build in better guardrails and tangible structure for emerging, maintaining, and operating in the field.
You understand this discipline as a lever for rhythmic prioritisation and realising outcomes, not as a static plan.
4. Strategy, prioritising, and planning are always fluid, never fixed.
The management of change is a falsehood.
You learn to do prioritisation and change as a rhythm.
Prioritisation is an expected, ongoing element of your workflow, a key part of designing rigorous adaptability into the ways of your day-to-day operating.
You consciously install an organisation vision and strategy mindset around allowing, as the antidote to controlling.
5. When you reorient a system to breathe and operate as it naturally is wired to be, you understand how the system will put in front of you what you need to see, hear, know and do.
But, you must get out of the way, disrupt the known and unknown interferences of its natural capabilities to expand, evolve, and emerge so it can show you.
You must listen, notice, and be open to hear it.
You must stop muscling.
6. Modern organisations who are building teams, products, services, businesses, and intending quantum results to solve future-facing needs cannot do it with outdated frameworks, lenses, bias, mental models, and limitation.
7. Volatility, uncertainty, complexity, and ambiguity are actual forces of the field of change, not merely a platitude.
8. Growth, adaptability, evolution, and becoming are also forces of the field of change. Your ability to meet and leverage them dynamically and collectively needs to get organised and installed as your strategic intent.
When you meet resistance and the unexpected on the road of this year’s travel (which you 100% will), you will be far more resilient to meet it with a right system constitution, mental and emotional competence amongst all players, and interactivity — not drama.
1. You find more comfort leading within the complexity of the change field, so you halt your culture mindsets and norms of catastrophe planning as your way of operating.
Change is, will, and should be inherent in your day-to-day. You expect it.
You stop implicitly or explicitly resisting it.
You design your own and others’ suffering when you create the background energetics of turning completely normal, ongoing change into crises. You choose to stop that too.
2. You cease operating from a catastrophe mindset. Because, that mindset patterns and habituates a fear-basis, which projects itself out into your system for all to feel, absorb, and default to.
That fear basis creates your limiting belief system, your inability to trust in the broader vision, an unhealthy spiral formation.
The fear basis narrows your strategic lens, curtailing everyone’s ability to see and harness potential and possibility in the daily, weekly, and annual flow.
3. You let go of the hero, rescuer, and savior archetype. Those days have come to their rightful end.
You step into your higher mind and self, the whole of her/him.
You clean up your shadows, wounds, and masks.
You invite those you touch, serve, and rely on to do the same.
When you be your realness, you invite others to rise to theirs. Further fostering safety as an outcome.
4. Evolving a system means people will naturally be tasked with evolving.
The system will shine a bright light on those evolutionary needs by the very nature of orienting a system to an emergent and dynamic frequency.
You have to do your personal work to keep up with and situate yourself amidst adaptive change. Whatever that means or looks like is for you to know and embrace so you can become solid system designers, and to lead people and ideas in the direction of your elevated, collective results.
You learn to show up in the entirety of your self, to yourself first. This way you are effectively and healthily able to work more cohesively within and across the dimensional collectives.
You actualise your own finesse with your communication and languaging abilities, dancing with learning styles, and juggling the perspectives presenting — with grace.
1. Abundance or deficit? Crafting abundant being, thinking, speaking, and doing to graft an organisational frequency of abundance is about attraction and magnetism. Not about irrationality or irresponsibility.
2. Building quantum outcomes correlates directly with flow. Flow is an input and an output of your energetic disposition, thinking mind, and choice and use of words and language.
You can see the world as plentiful or scarce.
You can view money as flowing or limited.
You can see people as your equal or your pawn.
You can see minds as beautiful or threatening.
You are always in a choice point whether to operate from one versus the other.
Where your thoughts and high vibe speaking go, money (which is energy) will follow, or not.
The systems where joy and results are flowing operate, work, lead, sell, speak, and earn in the field of change, from abundance not lack and limitation.
3. Open, flowing communication stands at the foundation of iteration and experimentation.
Without the well-designed structures and healthy, emotionally competent humans to enable the flow within the structures, critical co-thinking and co-creating, the fear frequency will creep in and root itself, like kudzu.
1. Leading as head gatekeeper and traffic cop is an abdication.
2. Leading as head observer and avoider is also an abdication.
Neither position will allow a system to scale, achieve bold or meaningfully impactful changes.
3. You stop fearing yourself, your abilities, and knowing. You start the lifelong work of trusting and learning to work with your power, without apology and with fluency.
4. Roles becoming more clear enables a system to “empower” its people to behave more intentionally, consciously, and effectively from role, to deliver outcomes that dimensionally manifest into strategic results.
Reducing friction via accountability clarification is about freedom, and freedom to create, do, and deliver against clear priorities and within good operating designs generally results in people feeling happier, more joyful, less fearful.
Shadowy (versus clear) accountabilities make for an undirected, fear-based, and messy place.
1. The past - and the now - are always just over.
The minute the now happens, the present moment is already over.
The future is a rolling, emergent phenomenon and you are tasked to learn to operate within its fluidity and confines.
You interrupt deceiving yourself (your ego-mind) that much of anything thought or experienced (time, plans, priorities, life, etc.) is fixed.
2. The shift to co-designing in a natural systems framework is you being an ultimate strategist and adaptive leader.
You depart from the looping in traditional structures, illogical ways of working, and delegation or abdication theater.
3. You break out of the confines of the operating structures sustaining your homeostasis or worse, the negative force field operating to push the system backwards.
The tangible outcomes you want do not magically arrive by reinventing the same problem in new ways. That is your trap and looping.
Change defines progression forward.
You create stability within adaptability, not stability as a result of the death grip and limited thought structures, as the name of the game.
4. Modern tools are not a "checkbox" nor a means to promote yourself online. Rather, they are akin to a meditation practice, conducting an orchestra, writing music, or learning a new language. They are a way to be, think, and do beyond your smaller self and contribute to smart, systemic change as one of the field’s instruments, as an emergent leader of the future.
They are enablers to master new skillfulness, not to master your ego.
Allow the tools to change and evolve you through their installation and practised use, over time.
When you apply new tools, practices and mindsets with strategy and intention, you and the system come to embody a new tone and tenor. Allow within the discomfort, rather than control or resist because of the discomfort.
Trust that the rigor will emerge growth between you, innovations to lean into, reinforce the standing, needed infrastructures, and elicit right changes.
When you set the conditions with and across the field for the creative, new, and kind to surface, you learn to see how your vision, strategy, and priorities unfold. Not because of your brilliance (ego), but because of your discipline (trust).
5. Without rigor and adopting new tools, methods, and ways as a practice, you are not going to engage flow and interactivity that breeds design freedom and system safety, nor unlock the conditions for that next big idea or innovation to come forth.
The rigor bears out what you yet cannot see.
Rigor is not you yelling more loudly, becoming busier and busier with antagonistic and unuseful operating ways, or approaching strategy without actually committing to a cadence that is sacred, sustaining, and shared.
Rigor is not performatively leading. Performatively leading is merely architecting and building a bouncy house of adults. Do not do this.
6. Rigor should feel uncomfortable because you are breaking deep grooves, ingrained and unconscious habits, and unlearning to be you.
Allow that discomfort to be one (of many) signposts you are being, thinking, and doing differently to re-factor for the future, for a new culture to operate by, and for driving on exponential, evolutionary, and emergent outcomes.
7. You focus.
8. You bring clarity and constancy to your system’s design and operating ways. You knit workflow horizontally as it enables the traditional team a way to move out of the entrenched looping and negative frequency of (consciously or unconsciously) advocating for individual legitimacy and value.
Legitimacy and value live in shared results, incremental delivery, aware deconstructions, and quality maintenance of system infrastructures.
When you default to solving near- and far-flung system challenges by returning over and again to the re-imagination of boxes and lines, you are looping in the insanity model.
You are not creating a worthy, valuable, and progressive operating model focused to deliver real-time outcomes.
9. You grow or re-factor your organisation out of decisions being either (1) collaboratively determined or (2) where too many decisions are run up the flagpole and then slowly sent back down again.
You embrace this as ancient operational foolishness and a financial sinkhole.
You remember that system toxins, culture frustrations, and compounding counterforces build themselves while preventing progression on priorities, goals, objectives, vision, and strategy.
You stop the needless grasping around oversight or the counter-habit of hoping and praying. Instead, you start interrogating your leadership and operating ways.
1. People will come. People will go. Everyone has a path to follow.
Are these changes often difficult? Most certainly. And still we build and are built for resiliency, to progress forward, by our own and any system’s very nature.
Breathe, Adjust, Adapt. No need to loop and catastrophise.
2. To operate differently as a whole culture, you system design to allow for, invite, and steer into the unexpected, thus hooking into flow and quantum change.
As individuals, on projects, within and across teams, throughout the system, you become experienced in and lead from fractal seeing, systemic tethering, and horizon noticing.
Don’t underestimate the influence the wise and courageous few can have over the many. The wise and courageous few may come from any desk, on any Zoom call, in any city. Notice.
3. You stand in the knowing that anything you do yourself implicates multiple other points and people, demanding good thinking, dialog, and partnership in all directions as a way of being stewards within a collective.
4. Measuring people on a yardstick that is not aligned to your wholistic values and culture expectations simply pecks at the fabric of anything modern you attempt to build and become.
Stop default adopting old or new, seemingly clever tools that “provide 360 feedback” and “gauge talent and performance.”
Start building better system designs where dialog and generative communication flow.
Lead more bravely and engage, interact, and name in real time needs, wants, and desires for yourself and the team.
Bear down on the fact that healthy and joyful cultures build themselves in the moments, of the hours, within the days, across the weeks through the tangible, realistic, rigorous, and effortful work by leaders in the dimension and fabric of all roles across and within systems.
Like brand, any good feedback mechanism and design ought to be an emergent phenomenon of a system already operating with high level tools and practices, led by emotionally competent people, and a mere reinforcement of what is good and worthwhile to speak into.
5. You come to experience that when people within the collective whole of organisation cultures touch the sweet spot of strategic, forward motion, and outcome-focused operating, the noise decibel exponentially reduces.
Freeing teams of people from the self-designed systemic, operating barriers to give of their ability, contribute to a greater purpose, and run the work as teams in service of the broader, apparent and understood organisation vision and strategy is a gift.
Cultures that truly release themselves from cowering to a control-based operating model and ego-driven leadership are ones that draw on and realise the wellspring of potential and possibility.
1. Building a messaging campaign and designing pretty sites or brand objet lay flat when the internal culture (or customer) experience is shitty and contradictory.
Brand ought to be a signature reinforcement of all else visionary, strategic, communication, leadership, structural, cultural, and empowering.
When you lead with the narrative and cannot deliver on the inside or at the cash register, the bleed of trust and reputational harm is as quantum in the negative as are the quantum possibilities for flow, abundance, innovation, and joy in the positive.
Vision and strategy tightly orchestrated and made known as a way of operating come to inform your brand as a leading indicator, in concert, and dialed in as one part with accountability to the messaging of a whole system design. Not as a shiny object, disassociated from the cultural truth.
The Constancy of New Beginnings
The beauty of fresh starts is we get to choose a new beginning. We take the opportunity to recommit to our visions. We take a look and acknowledge how much we’ve grown, learned, and become. We lovingly release what no longer serves for the now, and the future.
And after a moment of acknowledgment and restoration, we get right back in there to become further. With discipline as actors in the field of change, positive integration of notable potential peering through, and trust in the bigger call, purpose, and inner knowing.
Remember, all are
- Practices in service of destinations.
- Intentional and more conscious ways of being and operating.
- Undoings of the mechanistic; reinstallations of flow.
- Alignments with the way natural systems work.
- Commitments to elevating the game in service of more cohesion, discernment, and abundance.
- Offramps from the warring, control-based, egoic background energetics and structuring.
- Invitations to do the hard, yet purposeful work in your day-to-day that ultimately alters the trajectory for many during this next turn of the wheel.
- Decisions to become more in your own truth alongside your fellow travelers
- A return to a better, simpler yet far grander vision.
- Love letters to yourself and your reason for being.
Not for the faint of heart.
For the rebels, seers, and unafraid.
For the future.
Thank you to my friend and collaborator Tim Casasola for his consistently steady and smart red pen on my words.